Recently, Barnabas Piper recorded seven lies we tell our kids. I enjoyed the list because it consisted of things that many parents say to their kids but don’t really think about.
I will just post the “lies” below and if you’d like, go check out the blog and see his explanation for each one.
1) You can do anything you set your mind to.
2) It doesn’t matter what anybody thinks.
3) Good grades matter most.
4) Don’t worry about the results; it’s effort that counts.
5) It’s the thought that counts.
6) Good job, buddy.
7) It will be ok, I promise.
Want to know his explanations? Go read the whole blog.
Whatever you think about his points and explanations, at very least, the list should cause us to think twice about the things we say to our kids and avoid simply parroting what other parents say to their kids. In the long run, it could do more harm than good.