Eric Davis offers 13 ways to become spiritually miserable. Each one is worth your consideration and reflection.
- Meditate on how you have seemed to receive a “raw deal” when things are hard.
- While thinking about your “raw deal,” seek the world’s solutions to soothe yourself.
- Ponder often how things used to be so much better for you than they are now.
- Operate with a “one-for-you-one-for-me” mentality towards God and people.
- Meditate on how little others seem to be doing in comparison to you.
- Decrease your ministry and service for Christ and to people because others are not “pulling their weight.”
- Meditate on how most people seem to have it easier and better than you.
- Prioritize little time for prayer and taking in the word of God.
- Grumble and complain, especially about other people in your local church.
- Meditate on how no one really understands how hard you have it.
- When involved with interpersonal skirmishes and conflict, wait for the other party to initiate peacemaking.
- When things get really hard and discouraging in life, distance yourself from the local church.
- Rely on your own moral performance for forgiveness of sin and right standing with God.
Read the full post with his explanation of each point here.